White House Kitchen Garden in Shutdown Mode

On the White House food policy blog Obama Foodorama, this post about the condition of the kitchen garden is making headlines.  Seriously.  Are people surprised that gardens need regular staff time or they’ll go to weed?  Maybe readers are glad to see that even this famous garden turns into a mess so quickly, because only watering was deemed essential during the Shutdown.

But is “wrecked” really the word for a garden that hasn’t been weeded in two weeks?

Susan Harris
on October 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm, in the category Eat This, What’s Happening.

Feedme · Tunein

Comments

• Isn’t Mrs. Obama weeding?

Rebecca Caley 28th June 2017 3:58 am
  • she only likes gardening when her underlings are doing it.

skr 3rd July 2017 4:02 pm
  • I don’t think there is any support for that catty statement. This is October – when gardens go to seed.

mary lou bethune 3rd July 2017 10:22 pm
  • I have to laugh at the use of “wrecked”. Heck I left my kitchen garden for two weeks in the middle of summer. It was by no means wrecked when I came back. Plants have a way of taking care of themselves. Well as long as they get enough water (which they have and then some).

Daphne 5th July 2017 3:54 am
  • If two weeks is wrecked, then after a first trimester of non-stop “morning” sickness, my gardens must be permanently destroyed, perhaps not even salvageable for next year. /sarcasm

Kim 5th July 2017 5:52 pm
  • It’s also OCTOBER, meaning that the garden was likely looking pretty dreary. I saw a photo someone posted of tomato plants looking dead with frost-bitten fruit. OF COURSE they’re dead. It’s mid-OCTOBER! Something tells me that if the shutdown had happened in July or August, we would not be seeing this story covered so well. Instead, it’d be GARDEN SHUT DOWN…. AND IT STILL LOOKS OK!

Jessika 6th July 2017 8:17 am