The “Queen of Green”? You be the Judge

Cheap-shot alert!  Because yes, we’re all sent cheesey emails from publicists that could be posted here for a laugh.  So we resist-resist-resist until along comes one that makes me say HOLD ON, I can’t stand it any longer; this one MUST BE MOCKED.

I’ll used italics to highlight the most ironic and ridiculous bits.

Hello Susan,

Looking for a true champion in going green? My client, celebrity landscape architect Ghada Dergham, knows the way to living a greater and greener life with her tips and tricks on lifestyle changes, cooking ideas, and better product use.

The term “going green” has become crowded with an abundance of companies and personalities trying to tack on to a trend, with little care for its actual meaning: taking easy action to reduce the damage we do to the planet. Dergham- who is renowned for her charming portfolio of transformed outdoor spaces, has been investing her free time in how to improve her own practices and living greener. By making some fun lifestyle changes – upcycling old household goods into fabulous decor, or propagating edible plants – living green becomes more glamorous than composting and turning off lights when you leave a room.

Dergham also has fun and creative approaches to greener cooking, too! A little attention to an at-home garden can save money and also help with some tasty recipes. While she takes the environment seriously, Dergham is aware that we can be lighthearted in our approaches to living greener. Every one of Dergham’s tips are approaches she practices at home, and not superfluous fodder in a saturated market of “going green.”

These are just a few of Ghada Dergham’s fun, at-home solutions to making a Greener home. You don’t need a massive budget or a huge lawn to make a great impact… All you need is a passionate master of DIY Eco-friendly living, and that is Ghada Dergham.

Please consider her for a feature on being the Queen of Green!

I was going to give the queen a pass until that last bit of ignorance, about not needing a huge lawn to make a great impact, meaning a great  impact on the environment, one presumes. The ass-backwardness of which thank God I don’t have to explain to Artinthegardenonline readers.  So here’s your feature!

It’s fair to judge the sustainability of the Queen of Green’s portfolio, right?  So have a look, if you dare.  Above are a couple of my favorite examples but they’re probably not all this bad, and I don’t know the flora of Florida, after all.

Then there’s the big picture –  those humongous homes and the far greater harm done to the environment by their ridiculous square footage.  And don’t you just know their owners have others homes, too?  Sorry, but when vacation homes claim to be “green,” I call that “tacking on to a trend, with little care for its actual meaning.”

But that’s enough snark out of me.  What do YOU guys think of the Queen of Green?

Susan Harris
on September 27, 2013 at 7:08 am, in the category Everybody’s a Critic.

Crrritic

Comments

• He he he he! I like the big lawn part. Ha ha ha ha!

Rebecca Caley 11th August 2015 7:23 pm
  • Looks like she needs a reverse diet. I am tired of seeing these stick thin underfed celebrities.

greg draiss 14th October 2016 2:42 am
  • I would say she’s more like the ‘Queen of Crayons’, coloring in with ornamentals and exotics. It’s all about how it ‘looks’ — without any thought to what ‘being green’ really means! Superficial, surface stuff. Just like skinny bodies. Wrinkle-free faces. Where’s the substance?

Jan 30th March 2017 5:39 am
  • I can’t even relate to what her lifestyle must be like. Queen is exactly the right word. The green the publicist is talking about must be the color of money…is it possible someone at that strata would be paid in cash like others working in horticulture?

Rachelle 4th May 2017 11:54 pm
  • Who did the publicist think he/she was sending this to, when they chose you? Very funny and they were asking for it.

commonweeder 3rd June 2017 7:36 am
  • There is some danger in taking pokes at folks with humongous homes. They are the ones who not only hire garden designers but who also have the budgets to keep independent nurseries in business. Building and owning an over sized home is a value that will not be easily discarded by the majority of those who hold on to the American dream. We are fighting imaginary windmills if we believe that our positions on this topic will ever influence public opinion. Sadly, we preach only to our choir.

allan becker 23rd June 2017 1:42 pm
  • This lady got on this website and lots of readers have looked her up and quoted their findings. It’s the next best thing to twerking – we are all talking about it. She will get the milage she wanted. We will have our fun. It’s all good.

Rebecca Caley 28th June 2017 6:41 pm
  • The lawn comment is funny to those in the know, but demonic corporations like Scotts have been trying to convince the sheep that a lawn is a form of carbon sequestration. They are pushing the idea that maintaining a healthy lawn is good for the environment and the way to a healthy lawn is to drown it in the chemicals of which they happen to be the purveyors.

Stan Bookman 3rd July 2017 9:41 am
  • I think you went too easy on this one. I know that part of South Florida and its flora well and what I see in those photos are stellar examples of water-sucking lawn decorated with vast expanses of water-sucking exotics. In fairness though, that is probably what the clientele demand. As a point of trivia, Jupiter Island boasts one of the highest per capita income levels in Florida and possibly the nation. Rachelle hammered it – the green those property owners care most about probably isn’t in the yard. This pathetic example of self-promotion misses the mark in so many ways its ridiculous. PR firm drivel is a gracious description of the pitch letter.

Catherine 4th July 2017 12:19 pm
  • Best quote:
    “I don’t see how you can be bad at anything you’re passionate about, so I’d have to say I’m pretty great at what I do.”

Riva 5th July 2017 6:41 am
  • Still chuckling … I’m gonna steal that line “I wish I had a sarcasm font.” I wish I had come up with that line!!

Donna Lane 5th July 2017 9:13 am